Good Morning Everyone,
Today is Mother’s Day and the 5th Sunday of Easter.
I invite you to start your time of worship this morning by reading Psalm 30 out loud.
Hymns and Songs
- Guide Me O thou Great Redeemer #651
- I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say #671
- Now thank we all our God #457
- I often include this hymn on Mother’s Day, but it feels especially appropriate now. It was written by a German pastor named Martin Rinkart as a table grace for his children in the 17th Century, during a time of plague and famine. Even though his children lost their mother to the sickness, he still felt the need to thank our God “who from our mother’s arms, has blessed us on our way with countless gifts of love, and still is ours today.”
New Testament Reading – Acts 16:6-15
Gospel Reading – John 21:1-14
Family Time – “Lydia and the Women of the New Testament”
Message – “Finding Our Way to a New Normal”
Music for Reflection
Here are two worship songs that reflect on how Jesus’ resurrection can give us strength to face whatever tomorrow brings. The first is a well loved Gaither anthem. The second is a more recent worship song by Matt Maher that was inspired by it.
For Mother’s Day we pray and thank God for:
- All mothers, those who wanted to be mothers but were not able to, and for those who fill the role of mother.
- We pray especially for those mothers who cannot be with their children (and grandchildren) and children who cannot be with their mothers due to COVID-19.
In prayers we continue to pray for:
- All those who are ill with COVID-19 and their families
- Doctors, nurses and other health care workers as they serve in hospitals, public health and long-term care settings. For workers in essential services who must interact with the public.
- Wisdom for all levels of government as they continue to lead through this challenging situation.
- For all who are unemployed or facing financial stress because of COVID.
- For all who are feeling most isolated – for older seniors and those living in long-term care and retirement residences.
- For children, families and teachers doing their best to teach and learn at home.
- For all the members of our St. Andrew’s Church family.
- Just a reminder that our weekly Zoom Gathering to connect and share a time of devotion will be on Wednesday at 1:30pm. If you’re on our email list you will receive the link on Tuesday. If you would like to be added to the email list please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like a phone call in the coming week or need some assistance with getting groceries or other necessities, send an email to the church or call and leave a message at 905-648-6024. If you would like your name, or the name of someone you care about included in our prayers (or simply prayed for by myself or the elders) please let me know that as well.
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you now and always. Amen.